I finished the Single Player campaign of Grand Theft Auto V on PS3. It took me about 40 hours to complete all of the main missions and most of the Side Missions. I also spent time watching all the in game movies and TV shows as well. There are still some more side mission things remaining and activities i didn’t do like golfing. If I wanted to go for 100% of collecting cars, collectables, etc. I could easily see that extending the playtime by another 20+ hours but I don’t find grindy stuff like that very much fun personally.
What I Liked:
- Mission Variety – This is perhaps the biggest improvement over the fourth game is that there are many missions that are varied to keep things from getting repetitive.
- Characters & Dialogues - Most characters in the game was full of life, funny and the dialogues between them were top notch
- Character Switching – The character switching didn’t feel tacked on and actually felt apart of the game. This also helped with breaking up play to keep things from getting boring
- Landscape – The Map in GTA V is massive and has a lot of variety from mountains, deserts, Big City, small towns, etc. Every inch of the map was full of Detail
- Driving Improvements – The Driving is a lot less floaty than the fourth game and an option to flip a car back over without getting out helps a lot
What Could be Improved:
- Performance - The game looks pretty but unfortunately the frame rate suffers often. it’s not unplayable, but it can get annoying in many places where the frame rate dips to 20 fps or lower (especially in water and the beginning snowy area of the game)
- More Heist Missions and Heist Planning – Heist missions are an awesome part of this game, but there are so few of them, and even fewer where you can actually choose people/alternate routes. I understand that these are complicated but I was disappointed by how few times these missions came up
- Story – While entertaining most of the time, it’s nothing spectacular, a bit predictable and won’t blow you away. The characters are much more entertaining than the story itself
Overall, Grand Theft Auto V is a vast improvement over the fourth game and one of the best games of the year. Most gamers will love this game even without the multiplayer being activated yet. It’s definitely in my Top 5 Games of this year. Many will claim it’s a perfect game, but I say it falls just a bit short of that for me.
Score: 4.5 Pizzas